Trivialities

16 July 2008

I think mothering is the closest mankind will get to manipulating the timespace continuum. Not like I know, but Mr. & Mrs. InHawaiiForaWeek are loaning me their six children, and three dimensions just aren't enough to contain these little kids: Two-year-old Sandy runs on rocket fuel I’m convinced, and it takes all the running you can do just to keep up with her. Mark is seven and talks at the pace of a tree growing, but you must stand still and listen; he only talks slow and knows if you’re not paying him mind. Try listening to him closely, while catching Sandy as she streaks out the back door. And Mia has her own four-year-old speed, sort of sluggish between the hours of 7 and 1, but then like some supernova she explodes (about the time she should take a nap).

You can try to dole out your time as you like: 18 minutes to boil noodles, 13 minutes to load the car, 38 minutes to run the wash, but you have to measure out enough time to loose gallantly at cards to Kali, who’s ten. And listen to Mark, Gregory and Mia all relate the story of the April Fools Prank. And get milk for Kali, water for Sandy, no ice for Mark, sippy cup for Mia, and the phone is ringing for Bradly, turn off the movie, sweep the floors (again?), push their swings, wash the dishes, turn off the TV, change the diaper, preheat the oven, phone’s ringing, someone spilled! can I eat this? help me say please no thank you stop pool park dinner dishes, empty the trash, water the geraniums, and imagine—I still have time to read (after Goodnight Moon, Little Bear, Hop on Pop OnefishtwofishFancyNancySleepingbeautyblueberriesforsal) my book.

1 comments:

Rain in My Head said...

Mal-
So fun to see your comment on my blog. I'll have to check in here and see what you're up to. I love this post. :) It makes me feel somehow closer to you -- Like you've lived a day in my shoes :). love you lots!
-MH

 
si quid novisti... - by Templates para novo blogger