Mommy talk

23 July 2008

This one's for Jo.

I see now that I've oversimplified the thing. Mommying I mean. With all due humility, I confess I've been foolish and naïve. A few years of changing diapers is hardly qualification. Of course this too will be foolishness in years to come, when I have some. Kids of my own, of course.

But this summer's been good preschool for the degree no one is ever awarded— you never graduate from being Mom. You just have tests all the time, 24-7 homework and laundry to do besides. Textbooks are hard to come by, and the study group is just you and Dad. Course objectives? I think I'll start with keeping the little darlings alive: Mark crashed his bike and Cal cut open his food, I stopped Ava from eating paint today and four-year-old Tommy from jumping in the pool. I'm sure my own children will be at least that creative.

But then I have to wonder, am I protector first or teacher? Maybe a little paint would do Ava good. Do I make their beds because I love them or do I love them enough to teach them to? If I just fought the TV-battle and the homework-battle and the jumping-off-the-garage-roof-battle, should I really ask him to pick up his socks right this minute? Should I ask an hysterical child to say her bedtime prayers? Is time-out really for his good, or should I be the one sitting in my room?

There are no answers yet, really. Even kids know "maybe" means you weren't listening. Or it means you're lying and "no".

So I just have questions but what more can you bring with you to the beginning of a new school?

0 comments:

 
si quid novisti... - by Templates para novo blogger