Biography

22 February 2010

Mama

and daddy

taught me reading,

and also my writing

when I was still little--

too little to be much good.

They didn't mind, but it took me

a couple of years to really like writing.

But reading I loved and adored and poured over

every book with beautiful pictures or (more particularly) beautiful poetry

which filled me up with such sing-song joy, it spilled over

and out my own pencil, between the blue lines of three-hole-punched paper.

And I discovered a new love for the scratch of my own thoughts

on the rough of cheap paper, the taste of my pencil between my teeth

as I carefully sampled the sounds to discover a one that could Mean more perfectly.

Luscious-- that is what language became. I pruned and weeded and watered and fertilized with metaphors.

Sometimes I mourned to waste such care on describing the transfer of valence electrons in ionic bonds,

but afterward, in the evenings, I filled up notebooks with my thoughts on love and happiness, sunshine and

warm rain. And sometimes, sometimes, I set down my clicky-pen, closed my moleskine and just loved my own life.

But what, I always ask then, is the good of basking in real life, if you never capture it with

pen and paper? And then I pick up my old, worn composition book and find some place cozy from which to

paint the view in the window of my words.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Very lovely, Mallory! Good luck to you on your mission!!!

mariah christine said...

I miss you.

I love this post, I don't know how many times I've read it.

Do you remember one day when we were in England many years ago in an unforgettably beautiful place? It was a cathedral with celestial music and a good spirit. It was so sweet that when I sat down, I drew some beautiful things so that I could remember how it looked. It was really beautiful drawing, for the inspiration was so clear.

You sat down after looking at me and composed poetry. Also beautiful for the inspiration. This memory brings smiles. Keep writing, Mal!

 
si quid novisti... - by Templates para novo blogger