October remains

23 October 2008

The sunshine that was savored by the summer-lush leaves has seeped through every vein and now is shining and falling from crisp branches. Like sunbeams on the wrong side of autumn-grey quilted clouds.

The grass crunched this morning with the gasp of first frost. These mornings, the air is heady with fresh celebration of cold; sparking and sharp. I wore a red sweater because joy like new winter is too glorious for my usual drab.

The vestiges of summer are being buried slowly beneath the walnut trees, and the close mountains are frosted in orange. Once the shadows have swallowed dim twilight, winter tickles the darkness with chill breeze.

I think hot chocolate is in order.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Mal -- this writing is delicious. Keep this one for your first published volume of poetry (and keep the Teacher Evaluation to send into the Daily Universe Inspirational section :0). Mom.

Anonymous said...

Mallory--such BEAUTIFUL imagery! I just love it and wish I had written it! ;)

cait said...

wow. i'm sure you're just as artistic with winter! maybe if you describe the glory of winter to me each january morning when i'm waking up at 6:00, or going to school and praying my car doesn't hit ice at 7:30, i think i'll savor each moment of morning snow and cold.

 
si quid novisti... - by Templates para novo blogger